Monday, October 30, 2006

Happy Accidents

(I miss my granny)

She was the kindest women I've ever known... never thinking of herself... just others.
AND...
She was an amazing artist! Oils mostly. We used to sit in her living room and watch Bob Ross paint on TV. Such an interesting guy... the neatest voice... almost like he's singing.
Anyway, one of Bob Ross's things was putting happy trees everywhere.
And that made me think of this... "There's no mistakes... just happy accidents". Now I can't remember if this was from him as well, or from my high school art teacher (I'm thinking the latter). Regardless, it stuck with me.

When I'm teaching scrapbooking I always stress this. When people are too scared to try something because it might "wreck" something they've done. That it's usually fixable. You might make a mistake and actually LIKE it!!And you will never get "good enough" that you stop making mistakes!
Case in point...
I was working on Ali's Challenge #5... "i am creative". I decided that I have a ton of chipboard that I'm saving for this "masterpiece" but I need to use it. The layout was done and then I decided to run some dots up the curve. So I did... and hated it. My solution... use rhinestone brads to cover the dots. Much better.


So even after 6 years of scrapbooking... I still create "happy accidents".

And I posted this for the December 5th class... an altered paint can and journal (perfect for teacher gifts)! Sign up for the class or the kit.



The MSS blog is updated with new stuff... I'll try to get the rest up this week.

1 Comments:

Blogger Leigh Penner said...

Very true, Marcy! I remember Faye Morrow Bell saying something sometime about how sometimes our "mistakes" just challenge us to be a little more creative-- and it's very true.

8:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home